lymphedema and severe itching

Diseases, Fungal Infections, treatment, health, Cuts, Scrapes, Blisters, Skin Hygiene, Shingles, Papillomatosis cutis carcinoides, Tea Tree Oil, Psoriasis, Dry Skin, Lymphomatoid Papulosis, Cutis Marmorata, Warts and Verrucas, Bug Bite Protection, laser hair removal, eczema, skin plaque, nodules, psoriasis, nail care, Acroangiodermatitis

Moderators: Birdwatcher, tkincheloe, jenjay, Cassie, Senior Moderators

lymphedema and severe itching

Postby xshlynne » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:57 am

I have pretty bad lymphedema in my right leg. Last year I got cellulitus in my leg and was hospitalized for several days. I'm very watchful about infection. Problem is that my leg itches constantly. I had a dr. prescribe doxepin for itching and it helps some but also makes me sleepy. I've tried the eucerin lotion but it doesn't help at all. Anyone have any suggestions.
xshlynne

Postby patoco » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:39 am

hey again :wink:

Dr. Paula Stewart, one of the countries leading LE docs recommends using plain ole olive oil as a skin conditioner.

I have tried the olive oil and would give a thumbs up to it, and it did seem to do a lot of good for the skin.

The only down side is that it does have an odor. So I can only use it at night. During the day, since I was working I would use the Eucerin.

You might try it though and see if it helps.

I've had those insane spells of itching...ugh....drives you bonkers.

Pat
patoco

Re: lymphedema and severe itching

Postby edemagirl54 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:39 pm

I use the following Almond oil, 10 - 15 drops of lavender, 10 - 15 drops of lemon grass. find a glass bottle fill half with almond oil the apply the lavender and lemon grass. apply to legs and tada dryness gone, itchiness gone. :D
edemagirl54

Re: lymphedema and severe itching

Postby blubrdfrend » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:51 pm

I use plain old glycerin. I have one spot on the outside of my calf that itches. It is where my calf would be if you could find it! This itch breaks out occasionally and itches to the bone. The glycerin stops it in about 12-14 days with no smell. I will forget then it breaks out again. It is impossible to scratch and scratching does not work. The itch seems to be somewhere on the inside. Glycerin is cheap and almost every store carries it. It would be worth a try.
blubrdfrend

Return to Skin care, conditions, complications