swelling after delivering a baby

FLU SHOTS, trusting doctors, stomach swelling, compression garment fitting, perception of lymphedema, anger, shoulders, shoulder blades, pantyhose, benadryl, TB test, shaking leg

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

swelling after delivering a baby

Postby Kim » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:47 pm

Hello all,

A friend of mine just had a baby. She's 26 and doesn't have LE and is very healthy. Her baby was born a few days ago, and since then her feet have filled with fluid and her tummy is as big as it was before delivery...just not hard like it was before, as pregnant tummies are. She doesn't live here, so I only know what she has told me. Any ideas here? Wondering if this is just part of her hormones being all over the place or if there is something more.... She's freaking out to say the least.

Thanks,
Kim
Kim

Re: swelling after delivering a baby

Postby Cassie » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:45 pm

Boy, Kim, I'll bet she IS upset! And I hope by now her doctor has given her the help she needs and she's feeling some relief. He'd be the one to diagnose and treat whatever it is that's causing her problems. Sorry I can't offer anything by way of what the possibilities are, but the sudden swelling doesn't sound like a lymphedema-related problem to me. Since blood clots can cause swelling too it'd be a good idea for her to connect with her doctor right away.
Hugs to you both - let us know what you discover,
Cassie
Cassie
Senior Moderator

Re: swelling after delivering a baby

Postby Kim » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:17 pm

Thanks, Cassie,
I recommended that she get to the dr right away. I haven't heard from her again, but I'm certainly hoping that she got it checked out.
Kim
Kim

Return to Lymphedema Family Talk