benadryl

FLU SHOTS, trusting doctors, stomach swelling, compression garment fitting, perception of lymphedema, anger, shoulders, shoulder blades, pantyhose, benadryl, TB test, shaking leg

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

benadryl

Postby Kim » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:53 pm

I take benadryl every night to help me sleep. It doesn't knock me out...just makes it easier to fall asleep and to have a more restful night. I've been taking it for several years now.

Is there any chance that benadryl could make LE worse?

Kim
Kim

Postby patoco » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:40 pm

Hi Ya Kim

Wow...what a great question :!: :!: :!:

There actually was a study done (I'll have to find it) sometime ago where the urine compsition of primary and 2ndary lymphers was studied. What the researchers found was that there was an abnormal amount of histamine in urinary output.

Whoaa..just found it...here it is:

Effect of manual lymph drainage massage on urinary excretion of neurohormones and minerals in chronic lymphedema.

Kurz W, Wittlinger G, Litmanovitch YI, Romanoff H, Pfeifer Y, Tal E, Sulman FG.
Treatment of 29 cases of chronic lymphedema of various origins, mostly of the lower limbs, by manual lymph drainage massage resulted in significant changes of neurohormone excretion in the urine, whereas the secretion of 17-KS, thyroxine, minerals, and creatinine was not significantly changed. Comparison of the values of urinalysis before and after manual lymph drainage of the patients showed the following changes: 17-KS; -3.5% (non significant); 17-OH: -31% (significant); adrenaline: +50% (significant); noradrenaline: +19% (significant); serotonin: -22% (significant); 5-HIAA: +21% (significant); histamine: +129% (highly significant); thyroxine: -17% (nonsignificant); creatinine: -17% (nonsignificant); sodium: -1% (nonsignificant); potassium: -14% (nonsignificant). The corresponding values for ten controls were all non significant. These findings underline the importance of adrenaline and noradrenaline release by manual lymph drainage, which improves circulation. On the other hand, our results indicate the involvement of histamine and perhaps of serotonin in lymphedema formation, and suggest a combination of manual lymph drainage massage with antihistamine and antiserotonin treatment.

PMID: 717839 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... med_docsum

I wish there followup studies on this, but I can't find any. The end result is that these authors suggest MLD with antihisamine and antiserotnin treatment.

I also can not find any information that counters or disagrees with this or any that suggest something like benadryl is dangerous or damaging.

BTW..I do this as well. After reading the article, I trieed it, not only for help in sleeping, but to see if t would help me breathe better during sleep because of the abdominal lymph fluid and the pleural fluid I experience.

To me it has helped.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Kim » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:51 am

Thanks Pat! :D

I have abdominal fluid, and i've started having fluid in my chest. Good to know that it might be helping. And at least it doesn't sound like it's hurting anything.

Kim :D
Kim

Postby silkie » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:10 am

Hi Kim, Hi Pat

Thanks for information

Sharing the experiences in the forum does help tremedously

to understand the research. If you are medical hjargan illiterate like me

plain simple explinations are worth their weight in gold

as are experiences.

Thanks again

Silkie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Postby PamelaS » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:52 pm

What I would like to know, if anyone does know, does this information apply just to antihistamines? I regularly take medication for asthma; one of them is an allergy medicine.

What I take is Singulair; Clarinex-D; and also Albuterol, in liquid form for nebulizer; and albuterol inhaler.

Thanks.

Pamela
PamelaS

Postby patoco » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:50 pm

Hi Pamela

I haven't done any research on those medications...let me look around and I'll see what I can find.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Benadryl

Postby donsuzbee » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:50 pm

I was sooooo curious about the Benadryl idea that I did some looking up of "natural histamines in the body." Wow!!!! We are sooooooo water deficient. And the explanation was awesome. I am going to try the Benadryl tonite. I have been on a sleeping prescrip for over a year, but it is starting to have less effect.
And I am going to drink even more water. I do know that carbonated beverages are a no, no. Have not had any for over 2 years and miss my root beer.
Thanks for the idea!!!!!!
See ya in the AM!!!!
donsuzbee

Return to Lymphedema Family Talk