TB test and arm LE

FLU SHOTS, trusting doctors, stomach swelling, compression garment fitting, perception of lymphedema, anger, shoulders, shoulder blades, pantyhose, benadryl, TB test, shaking leg

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

TB test and arm LE

Postby Kim » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:16 pm

My last child just left home two weeks ago, and the "empty nest" syndrome is hitting me very hard. I've got to get out of the house! I have decided to do some volunteer work at the new children's hospital, but that requires a TB test!

:?: Will having a TB test done in an LE arm be asking for trouble? I'm thinking that it would. :( I'm going to put a call in to my therapist tomorrow but wanted to check with everyone here to.

Kim
Kim

Postby patoco » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:44 pm

Hi Kim

I have to admit, this makes me really nervous.

Not only because of the invasiveness of the test, but not comfortable with the injection of tuberculin in a LE arm.

Let me know what your therapist says, will be most interested in their opinion.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Kim » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:24 pm

My thoughts exactly, Pat. I'll let you know what my therapist says.

Darn! I have wanted to do some volunteer work in the hospital for years, and now seemed to be the time to finally do it. I was really looking forward to being a "cuddler" in the nursery or spending time reading to children who are ill...or whatever...just to brighten their day. It all looked so great with the hospital supervisor today, until she brought up that blasted TB test!! I'll just have to choose somewhere else, I guess. :(

Thanks for your quick reply; i'll let you know...

Kim
Kim

Postby PamelaS » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:39 am

Kim,

A question if I may please. Is your arm (either of them) the only place that they can give you the TB test? I ask because my boss at work has had lymph. nodes removed from both arms (no LE as yet), but they use one of her legs for routine blood tests because of this.

Would this be an option in your situation? Just curious and HTH.

Pamela
PamelaS

Postby Kim » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:49 pm

Hi Pamela,

I appreciate your suggestion. I have LE in both legs, actually full body, so there isn't another place on this body of mine that a TB test could be done without potential problem.

Thank you though, :)
Kim
Kim

Postby Kim » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:15 pm

Hi Pat,

I talked with my therapist this morning, and she was [i]definately [/i]opposed to having the TB test done. She said it was just to big of a risk, and one that i'm not willing to take. My LE is progressing way to fast as it is; i certainly do not want to do anything to make it worse! My therapist has a patient who had had a mastectomy years before and with no trouble, but after getting a flu shot, it triggered full blown LE! Our bodies just can't handle the injection of antibodies, no matter how small the amount.

The person in charge of the volunteer program is checking with employee health at the hospital to see if there are any other options...ie chest xray....if they'll pay for it! Hope so.

Kim
Kim

Return to Lymphedema Family Talk