LYMPH DOESN'T TAKE A HOLIDAY AT CHRISTMAS

FLU SHOTS, trusting doctors, stomach swelling, compression garment fitting, perception of lymphedema, anger, shoulders, shoulder blades, pantyhose, benadryl, TB test, shaking leg

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

LYMPH DOESN'T TAKE A HOLIDAY AT CHRISTMAS

Postby silkie » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:26 am

Hi everyone I am afraid i forgot my own advice I thought I would put this reminder back again

Hello my friends.
We all so excited and rushing round getting ready for Christmas
i think maybe one or two of us have forgotton we have certain boundaires. And no matter how much we think we can push it
there comes a point when our bodies say STOP
i think maybe some of us have run a red light sign this week
To many falls and set backs, Let just slow down and enjoy Christmas, not be ill or layed up for it.
I have been doing it to, to much to do, well im going to bandage get those legs up as much as possible or else christmas is going to be so difficult it will spoil the enjoyment
Slow down take time to relax,
take care of yourselves.
hugggggggg lovessss silks
silkie

Postby gottahavesun » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:23 pm

Amen to that Silkies-don't want you laid up another Christmas because you did too much.

I am so guilty in pushing myself to the limit during this time of year too and keep reminding myself that if I move at a slower pace, I'll actually be able to do more in the long run and feel better too! When it is all said and done our family and friends just want to spend time with us and see that we are feeling our best, so if I have to cut a few corners by not doing as much or buy instead of baking then that is the best gift I can give myself.

We put our tree up Sunday and finished it last night. It is so beautiful and when we were done I sat down and did my nightly tree ritual of turning off all the lights and having a cup of tea/hot cocoa(sometimes both-lol) and enjoying looking at the lights. It is very calming to me before I go to bed.
I hope everyone slows down and doesn't push too much so you can all enjoy this holiday season.
gottahavesun

Postby Kim » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:39 pm

Oh Lisa! Isn't that a wonderful thing to do? I to have had that nightly holiday ritual, plus I listen to our holiday cd's. It is so beautiful and relaxing...a great way to end the day.

We haven't put our tree up or anything yet. I'm struggling with whether or not to even do it. My husband is meeting himself coming and going and doesn't have time to help, and I can't do it by myself anyway. The past two years, my youngest daughter has done almost all of it...with me doing what I can, but this year she won't be here. In fact, NONE of my kids will be home for Christmas this year; a first that I have dreaded. Makes me so sad. Jenai and I would always do the nightly ritual together...it was always a special time for the two of us. I don't know how to do Christmas without her. :cry:

I'm going to have to come up with something totally different this year...working on that. Gotta get that positive attitude going and enjoy the holidays with my hubby and extended family.

Take it easy, Silkie and Lisa, and everyone else. Let's have positive reports when the holidays are over. :)
Kim

Postby silkie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:16 am

Hi Kim

Why not get a small tree for each room.
My mum Did that. only about 2 feet She even bought a rooted one so it could go in the Garden. she could sit at the table and manage to decoration

My granddaughter is coming mext weekend to make mince pies and cookies you call them. I have always had a day with them where we would bake sort of a tradition. She is 14 now and this year shes rang me and said Nana i'm coming to stay tthe weekend so i can help you do the baking this year. I tell you imy eyes were watering full circle eh she lookin after her nan.

wrapping the present to shes going to be helping with, and coming last minute shopping What a STAR she is Christmas I got my present already
my Charley and her weekend for her Nan

Have a Wonderful Christmas

love

Silksxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

Postby joanne johnson » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:43 am

Hi Kim,
I hope you decide to put up that tree and decorate your house. It will put you into the holiday spirit. You and Charley can enjoy it yourselves. Christmas will turn out to be better than you expect. Best holiday wishes to you! :D
joanne johnson

Postby joanne johnson » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:50 am

Hi Silkie,
Sounds like you have your holiday preparations all lined up. So much to do and we always seem to be in a rush. Good thing you have your grandaughter all ready to help you!

This Christmas will be very special for our family. My first grandchild was born on Oct. 31st. Little Kaitlin Elizabeth is the most precious gift we could receive. She is truly a blessing... and she only lives 15 minutes away, what a bonus!
joanne johnson

Postby silkie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:34 am

Hi Joanne

Charley has always been close like kaitlin
Nans has been the drop in centre for all the grandchildren
that has been a very special blessing

LOL you do need a huge larder and the storage capacity for toys swings bikes etc etc It wonderful

Hugsssssssss

Silksxxxx
silkie

Postby Kim » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:41 pm

Oh Silkie, you have one of those precious grandaughters! Aren't you blessed! :D

And Joanne...a new baby! What a sweet addition to the holidays! :D

Something in each room; that's a thought, Silkie. I can't do trees since I can't get to the decorations, but I might just get a bunch of poinsettas and put them around the house. It wouldn't be the same as a Christmas tree, but then again, the idea is something totally different this year. :) That could work.

I have lots of baking to do. I'm sending boxes full of Christmas tradition to my girls...from cd's to decorated cut-out cookies to special breads; all things that are traditional at our house. This being Jenai's first Christmas away from home won't be easy on her either. I'm hoping that sending her things that are always a part of our holidays, will make it a little easier for her. Have to pace myself with all the baking though; it's easy to be on my feet for way to long, but it will be fun. I'll turn up the Christmas music and dance a little as I go. :lol:

You ladies talking about grandchildren, makes me look forward to that one day; but i'm not in any BIG hurry! Enjoy!! :lol:
Kim

Postby silkie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:57 pm

Hey Kim i have a typist chair in the kitchen on wheels i scoot from one
side to the other it does help.

Its my arm and shoulder that stopped the baking a couple of minutes and it telling me i best not carry on.

Cinnamon sticks and dride orange slices with cloves mum would put about

and i love the tall clear glass vases filled with one colour of baubles

oh you got me Going now on decorations lol

if any of you can get the BBC web page lifestyle Nigela lawson did a cake last night that was done in a pan all liquids soaked friuits and a small ammount of flower it was like stiring a good thick soup and didnt take lonf the decoration on the top was chocolate and gold balls looke scrummy

ok Sorry Pat all this food not healthy for us lymphers

AHHHHHHHHHHH well its Christmas

huggggggggggggggg
Silksxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
silkie

It's Christmas

Postby donsuzbee » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:56 pm

Oh what joy to read all your posts! Thank you and God bless!
Susan
donsuzbee

Return to Lymphedema Family Talk