Summer Heat

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Summer Heat

Postby roadmon » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:45 pm

I was just told by my le therapist that I should not be outdoors at all this summer, except for early morning or early evening. I feel like I've been slammed in the face. I have always been a beach & summer weather person, and not to be told I shouldn't be in the warm weather is killing me. Help me! Anyone else who has to do this? She said I will swell more if I'm in the heat much. What to do, what to do?
roadmon

Postby ma1290 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:18 pm

That sounds pretty extreme. I've been told not to be in saunas or go in hot tubs, but never have I been told not to go out on a hot day.

My advice to you is that you shouldn't let LE take over your life to the point of not going outdoors and doing what you love. Pat?
ma1290

summer heat

Postby suzeeq » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:17 am

Hi Roadmon, I think your body will tell you if you can go out in the summer. If the swelling increases and you feel miserable outside, then of course, stay in. Everyone is different. I can tolerate the heat if in the 70's or low 80's with my hose on, but not if in the 90's or with high humidity. I basically just go out in the early morning or evening as your therapist suggested, only because that is more comfortable for me. I still run errands any time during the day as I just go from one air conditioned place to another. Susan
suzeeq

Postby patoco » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:02 pm

Hey Everyone :)

This is a tough one for me because until the last few years I was a real sun/summer person.

I always loved the sun, gardened, hike - all kinds of activities. A few years ago my lymphedema complicated by lymphoma really set me back.

If you find that you can tolerate the sun and some heat, then I would say go ahead and enjoy - with prudence. If you find that it makes your swelling worse or makes you more suspectible to infection etc, then pull back a bit.

Lymphedema doesn't mean you should stop doing the things you love - it just means you may have to make some modifications based on your individual situation. :!: :!:

I'll tell you, I really miss the long hours working around in my yard and garden and miss being able to be outside. :cry: I'm also an old FLorida boy so you know how I feel about the beach. :wink:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Heat

Postby Cindy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:35 pm

Hello I have found that for me I can not stand much heat. Nor can I stand the cold. I swell like a blimp in the heat. Much pain in the cold. I set in frount of the air conditioner and couver my legs with a lap robe. Crazy :!: To roast on top and to freeze on the other. Well I have always been a little strange :lol:
Cindy

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema