newbie: Can you drive with bandaged legs?

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

newbie: Can you drive with bandaged legs?

Postby cate342 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:32 pm

I'm new to this website & to lymphedema - both legs & feet - am currently getting left leg wrapped daily so far. When my right leg gets wrapped this week I don't know if I can drive or not. The orthopedic strap-on shoe seems too big to be safe. Can people drive with just the bandages on? Are your ankles & knees flexible enough to drive safely? My therapists didn't know how to answer this question as I'm a pretty severe case. I ordered a pair of men's slipper socks with treads but don't know if they'll fit or work for driving.
What do the rest of you do? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
cate342

Try sandals from Walmart or Target

Postby bbkmomma » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:16 am

I hope this helps -- you may find some large size men's sandals with velcro at back of ankle, over ankle and over the top of the foot. These worked well for me when my legs and feet are wrapped.
They should be able to wrap your leg so you can bend it -- and as you are wrapped more you should begin to get used to it and learn how to adapt your driving. Just take it slow.
bbkmomma

Postby joanne johnson » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:14 am

I was able to drive with my feet and legs wrapped. I had to get the largest shoes that I could find. As stated above, flexability shouldn't be a problem. Take short trial trips till you feel comfortable. Good luck!
joanne johnson

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema