How long does it take for sores to heal?

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

How long does it take for sores to heal?

Postby Cindy » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:59 am

I have a hard time getting healed up :roll: Most of the time it is 2 month's now. And the bleeding is getting worse. This last time it started right before bed. I thought it had stoped. I went to bed and woke up with socked sheets and bloody foot prints across my carpet. I didn't know I was still bleeding until I sliped in it on my bathroom floor.I get so tired of never being free of sores. What can I do to help myself heal faster? Is it this way for everyone else? I don't mean to wine :oops: I am just tired.......
Cindy

Postby joanne johnson » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:01 am

Hello Cindy,
I was disturbed after reading your post. Where is the blood coming from? What kind of sores do you have, and where are they? This is not normal.
Please get some medical help as soon as possible and find out what is going on. It's important to get healed before you get an infection. Good luck!
joanne johnson

Postby patoco » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:26 pm

Hi Cindy

I agree totally with Joanne. This bleeding is not normal, even with the draining wounds we get with lymphedema.

You really need to get to you doctor and have them give you an immediate (id not sooner) referral to a wound clinic.

This can be very very serious - become septic - all kinds of complications.

You also need to be on an antibiotic. I have a cousin with a wound that actually healed on the outside, but not on the inside. Because of this it almost got to the necrotic state.

Ironically, this cousin never showed any signs of LE either, until he got this wound. Now his entire leg is swelling.

Take care and let us know how you do.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Regarding sores or wounds

Postby Cindy » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:55 pm

I have lymp. in both legs. I am on Cephalexin 500MG Tab 2x3times a day. I have had cellulitus in both legs. once in July and once in Sept. 07. The bleeding always starts in one of my blisters ( for lack of a better name) I don't bump them at least as far as I know. They just start to bleed all by them self's. I was put in the hospital on IV drugs in July. And in Sept. He put me on Ogmenten.( can't spell) That helped. But now I am back on Cephalexin. I am afraid. Can they run out of med.'s to keep the infection in check? The blisters are spreading up above my knees now. I read about you having Message treatment and I want the same help. My insurance will not pay for any of it. And starting next year they won't even pay for medical aids like wheel chairs or anything like that. Right now I have no hope of ever receving treatment for lymp. My doctor says just loose weight and it will all go away. As far as I know there is no doctor in this area who knows anything about lymp. I will ask my doc if he will send me to a wound doc. I don't know if he will.
Cindy

Postby GreenFuzzer » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:57 pm

Cindy in my opinion you need to get input from another Dr as soon as possible. I was originally sent to a vascular Dr, perhaps one of them would be able to help you. I was also finally sent thanks to my physical therapist to an oncologist nurse practitioner as she deals with many people that have secondary LE from their cancer. Mine also happens to specialize in wound care, supposedly. Perhaps that type of Dr or their assistant/nurse practitioner would be of help.

My physical therapist and oncologist nurse practitioner both would like it if I could go to an in house treatment facility unfortunately there is no way I can go to Austria to the one they would like me to go to. However I was told that there is suppose to be one in the state of Washington. I don't know where but it might be something you can look into. Perhaps being an in house treatment it could fall under the right guidelines for insurance coverage, I haven't a clue, but it is sure worth checking on. What I have been told to expect at in house treatment is the MLD/massage, compression wraps or garments, nutrition, exercise, and group therapy at the very least.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing, and make sure to get to a Dr ASAP, I would even consider the emergency department at the hospital.
GreenFuzzer

Regarding sores or wounds

Postby Cindy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:25 pm

Thanks for all your advice. I will talk to my doc. tomorrow (Monday). And GreenFuzzer I know of the clinic you are talking about it is in Olympia Wa. I would love to go there. But they are over welmed now and have no room for me. Besides my insurance will not pay for it. I live about 3 hours drive away.They are rated the best in America. If only :( I have family I could stay with but no room at the clinic. So I am trying to learn to do the best that I can for myself. Thanks for your help.
Cindy

Postby joanne johnson » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:42 am

Hi Cindy,
I agree that you definately need to see a different doctor who may be more helpful. I am glad that you are receiving antibiotics. You may need to take them everyday to control things as much as possible.

It is a law that if you go to an emergency room of any hospital, they MUST treat you regardless of your insurance status. Please don't hesitate and do this for yourself. We all care about you Cindy!
joanne johnson

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema