Medication Question

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Medication Question

Postby PamelaS » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a concern about medications. Unfortunately I need to have orthoscopic surgery on my right knee this year due to a fall there earlier this year. Doctor feels there is a problem with the meniscus plus significant arthritis. Strangely enough my mother just had one knee replaced and will have the other replaced later this year.

They want to prescribe Darvon 65mg. for the pain. Can this interfere with the lymphedema in my arm in a way that anyone is aware of?

Thank you all - be well.

Pamela
PamelaS

Postby patoco » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:06 pm

Hey Pamela :)

The only pain meds we have to be careful of are the NSAID's.

As far as I know and have studied Darvon should have no effect at all of the lymph system or lymphedema.

I use to take it when I went through all my leg surgeries and didn't have any problems.

Wishin' you the best :!: :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby ma1290 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:00 pm

Is ibuprofen ok?
ma1290

Postby patoco » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:39 pm

Hey Adam

The problem with ibuprofen is taht it is classified as an NSAID. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can increase edema as they stop the microscopic contractions of the lymph vessels.

Very frustrating for me as the liquid gel cap form really did help relieve pain for me, but I had to give them up.

That doesn't leave us with very many options on the non-prescription side of things.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby ma1290 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:57 pm

interesting. I wish I would have known that a few years ago, I used to take ibu's all the time for osgood schlatter's.

thanks for the info
ma1290

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema