Elevating leg while sleeping

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Elevating leg while sleeping

Postby teenmom » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:43 pm

My daughter has unilateral lymphedema, the physical therapist recommended sleeping with the leg elevated. She starts out the night with it on a pillow, but by the end of the night, she has tossed and turned enough that it is no longer on. Has anyone tried those beds that you can elevate the legs? Thanks for any info.
teenmom

Re: Elevating leg while sleeping

Postby ellita » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi Teenmom!

When I developed lymphedema at 17 years of age, my mother came up with a perfect way of having an elevation of mattress. We had two old computers CPUs, and she put one on top of another and put them under my mattress, so elevation stayed there permanently. That worked! I could not toss down heavy computers from under my mattress at night!

i hope this helps,

love and light,

Ella
ellita

Postby Queenie EJC » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:50 am

My compression therapist suggested that I elevate the foot of the bed with old telephone books on the floor under the feet of the bed. That works. I stacked two on each side and wrapped masking tape around them.
Queenie EJC

Postby ma1290 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:10 pm

Stuffing stuff under the mattress works fine. If you want something that is easy to store away, you can buy large foam wedges at most medical supply stores (or on the internet). My parents bought me one which I used for about 10 years and it is still in good condition.
ma1290

Postby patoco » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:54 am

Those foam rubber wedges are great. I used one for a long long time at the ehad of my matteras to help me breathe until the fluid got so bad I had/have to sleep in a recliner. Oh.....what I would give to stretch out and sleep in a bed.

You can also get the vinyl blow pu varieties, but I found the foam rubber works the best and lasts the longest.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby Queenie EJC » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:46 pm

I am currently using a foam rubber wedge too, Pat. I bought the entire set of wedges at J.C. Penney when they were on sale for half price.
Queenie EJC

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema