Hand Question

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Hand Question

Postby FerretMom » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:02 am

I have lymph. in the right arm/hand and for the most part it is under good control. The other night while cooking I noticed a slight steam burn on that hand at the base of the thumb. It is not a bad burn. I have been keeping it clean and keeping a gauze bandage on it with lightweight tape, trying not to be constrictive and let it breathe. Also using Neosporin on it. The skin is pink, there is a tiny amount of clear fluid and does not appear infected at this time.

I am aware that we are at higher risk on skin infections because of the lymph; and wonder if I am handling this the right way.

Thank you my friends.

Pamela (FerretMom)
FerretMom

Re: Hand Question

Postby FerretMom » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:05 am

Sorry about the double post - it was unintentional.
FerretMom

Postby donsuzbee » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:15 pm

me again. I would say you are doing the right thing. Just keep a close watch on it. If the redness spreads, see your doc. I have had cellulitis twice in my arm and chest area. Both times the whole area was very red and I had a fever.
A friend told me if you ever get cellulitis you will really know it - and I did. I am the most accident prone person in the world and the advice to be careful of cuts, etc seems to pass right by me. But the 1st cellulitis was due to a surgery I had in another part of my body - I got a staph infection. The 2nd time I visited someone in the hospital and the doctor attributed my getting the staph from just visiting. So I don't visit people in the hospital anymore.
Susan B.
donsuzbee

Postby Cassie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:38 pm

Hi, Pamela,

And welcome back to the boards! I just wondered how you're doing by now and hope everything is healing up well. I have hand and arm lymphedema too, and I know how worrisome it is when we get any kind of nick, scrape or burn. I always feel like a nut when I make a huge fuss over a paper cut or a poke from a plant outside in the garden. And the family of wasps that took up residence on our back porch put me into a complete panic until we found their nest and got rid of them. Fortunately my family is aware of the cellulitis risk and they're quick with the antibiotic cream and bandages. Even after several years of lymphedema I'm afraid I'm not real careful, so I go through quite a lot of bandages! Hands come in for it with nearly everything we do, anyway -- cooking is probably the worst, with cuts and burns and steaming your arm removing pot lids, but I love to cook and don't plan to give it up anytime soon. My other really "dangerous" activity is sewing -- all those sharp, pointy things! My major means of defense has been keeping the lymphedema in good control. A lot of work, but worth it to me. So far, so good!

Do let us know how you're doing!
Cassie
Cassie
Senior Moderator

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema