question about red blotches

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

question about red blotches

Postby lacemaker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:19 am

first background info.I have lymphodema in my left left since 1985 after a hysterectomy and radiation treatment. I wear made to measure class 4 stockings.I wear these religiously all day. Wrapping and massage has no effect on the size of my leg.When sitting in my chair I always have my leg up and supported correctly.

My question is that when it is hot especially, and when I walk or do other exercise I get a red blotching on my leg. It becomes hotter to the touch and more swollen. Is there anything anyone can recommend to alleviate this? I have no intention of stopping exercise as it is too important, I just want any ideas on how to stop the blotching etc.
lacemaker

Re: question about red blotches

Postby patoco » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:09 am

Hi Ya Lace :)

I get this blotching too and can even get it if my shower is too hot.

The key here is (1) are they painful? (2) do you feel lousy otherwise? (3) any temp with these?

If you can say no to all the above, the best I have been able to figure out is that they are related to blood flow in the tiny skin capillaries etc. When you become hot, the body does try to cool things down by sending more fluids to the area that is hot. That is also why you'll see a little extra swelling around those areas. For me, they go away rather quickly with no other problem.

If you say yes to any of the above, you need to get to your doctor or an infections doctor to see if they can isolate what is causing it (bacteria etc).

As I mentioned, the critical thing is how does the rest of you feel? That can be a key.

Hope this helps :!:

Pat 8)
patoco
Site Admin

Postby lacemaker » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:37 am

No temp but my leg does feel hotter to the touch. Its always bought on by the combination of hot weather and exercise. and yes it happens after a shower sometimes.
lacemaker

Postby gary1955 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:35 am

I had a rather large "red" area on my left leg for about 3 years. Originally, I had shown it to my LE doc and he said it wasn't nothing to be concerned with. Recently, I was admitted to the hospital for staph aureous. While I was in there, they wrapped my legs. This was the first time they had been wrapped in 3 years because I have dificulty bending over to wrap my feet.

My infectious disease doc asked me if I had any problems with it like fever and the area being hot to the touch. I told him not really so he didn't ask anymore about it. Then when I was released from the hospital, I was sent to a nursing facility for 4 weeks to continue my antibiotic treatment. While there, they continued to wrap my legs. Then it seemed like the red area was spreading and was warm to the touch. So when I had my follow-up appt with my infectious disease doc, I showed it to him and explained that things had changed since I last talked to him. Turns out it was infected and I have been on Doxycycline now for 2 weeks. I also asked the nurses to stop wrapping my legs because of the infection. It is slowly but surely disappearing. I have one more week to go on the antibiotic.

I know celluitis when I have it but this really didn't seem to mimick that at first other than the redness. I had a series of fevers over that 3 year period but never put 2 and 2 together because my LE doc said it was nothing. I think he was wrong.

My question: In 2007 I developed type II diabetes and it was left untreated for a year because the clinic didn't inform me that my A1C level was elevated until a year later when my sugar shot up tp 345. Recently after having 5 weeks of antibiotic treatment , my sugar levels have dropped considerably. Do you think this redness on my leg could have been infected for three years and caused my sugar to rise? I am keeping a close watch on my blood sugar levels now to see if they stay normal even if I eat something with sugar in it. The other morning my level was 92 after fasting which is perfect. It would be great if this infection was the culprit and I could get off the glucophage for my sugar.
gary1955

Postby patoco » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:04 am

Hi There Gary

That's hard to say on whether or not the infection could have been there for years.

In my mind though, I think it may be possible for this reason. gary, I have a cousin who experienced almost an indentical situation. Not only was his diabetes not diagnosed correctly but for a very long time he too had this odd red spot.

When he leg started swelling, unlike most family members he remembered what I had said about LE in our family and finally sought another doctor.

Not only did he infact have diabetes, but that red spot turned out to be an infected spot that healed from the outside inward, but was still festering after almost a year. He was close to contracting sepsis at the point of the correct diagnoses and it took a very long time to heal.

I can only urge lymphers - and can't say it strongly enough -to immediately seek help when we have any funky looking spot on our legs. If necessary get a second opinion and don't hesitate to see an infectious disease doctor or even an oncologist.

Not only did my cousin ignore a red spot that turned out to be an infetion, but I myself ignored a red spot that had been growing on my left leg for over a year. No pain - nothing, so I figured it must be jsut some wierd thing related to LE. It was lymphoma.

We have had a couple other memb have strange bruises that didn't heal. It was lymphangiosacoma on both of them.

So, be safe and well - jump on it quickly :!:

Good hearing from you Gary, let us know how you are doing.

The best your way :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby gary1955 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:27 am

Well I am certainly glad I posted this about this red spot on my leg. Now I'm really concerned and I will definitely monitor this more closely even though it seems to be going away with the Doxycycline. Thank God we have this site and Pat to rely on. Thanks so much!!!
gary1955

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema