Some Questions

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Some Questions

Postby gary1955 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:03 am

It's been a long time since I have visited this site but I thought maybe I could get some input on some issues I am having.

I am having trouble keeping my bandages on after wrapping. I've tried taping them in different spots on the foot(the area where they become loose and fall off). Does anyone have any ideas on how i can keep the bandages from falling off?

Has anyone had any kidney problems after having vancomycin via IV? I recently had about 2 weeks of treatment using this antibiotic for a strep infection caused by cellulitis and during this time my kidney function failed. I am taking iron supplements now for a low blood count and I go back for a follow up appt. with my kidney doctor in June. She seems to think that the antibiotic may have caused the problem.
gary1955

Re: Some Questions Vancomycin Kidney Failure

Postby patoco » Fri May 04, 2012 6:56 am

Hi Gary

Evidently vancomycin can be toxic to the kidneys, this is from Everyday Health.com

Q: Can vancomycin taken more than once a day cause acute renal failure? If so, how can we treat this?
A: Vancomycin can be toxic to the kidneys, resulting in acute renal failure. Risk factors that can contribute to acute renal failure include hypertension, diabetes, kidney disease, liver disease, age, other medications, and low body muscle mass. The amount of vancomycin absorbed into the blood stream is dependent on dosage as well as other risk factors. Close monitoring of vancomycin blood serum levels (also known as serum trough levels) is recommended to prevent and identify acute renal failure at its onset. Discontinuation of vancomycin and the administration of IV fluids can allow the kidneys to clear the vancomycin and regain their function. However, the recovery time for the kidneys is dependent on each individual and on any other risk factors present. Dialysis may be required to rapidly clear the vancomycin from the kidneys, preserve kidney function, and prevent further damage. Please consult with your physician for further information and evaluation. Consuelo Worley, RPh, MS Pharm.

Here is another page, this one from the Doctor's Lounge:

http://www.doctorslounge.com/nephrology ... 22759.html

I have had vanco before and always, the kidney functions were monitored closely. They really need to check you and make sure that everything is going to be ok.

Pat

http://www.doctorslounge.com/nephrology ... 22759.html
patoco
Site Admin

Re: Some Questions

Postby gary1955 » Fri May 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Thanks Pat for the info. Hope i do not need dialysis.
gary1955

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema