Wonderful dog leash to try

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

Wonderful dog leash to try

Postby gottahavesun » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:32 pm

Hey everyone-just wanted to share something I purchased recently. I bought a dog leash that has a big rubber handle that is easier to hold than traditonal leashes. I have limited strength and not only is the handle easier to hold, but you will not feel a big tug if your dog tries to yank on the leash. I bought it from a local Pet grooming place, but they are available on the web at www.ezydog.com It is availabe in different countries as well. I bought the CUJO one with 2 standard extensions. The entire sytem is on swivels, so even having 2 dogs on extensions is not a pain--they NEVER get tangled up. I have a Sheltie and Shih tzu and the sheltie is double the size of my Shih tzu, so they are forever walking over each other-but with this leash they don't tug me or tangle me up with them while I'm taking them out. This has allowed me to once again take the dogs out and for a little walk, so I was so happy when I found it that I wanted to share it with you.
If you have found other items that make your life easier, please share so we can all get the same benefit.
gottahavesun

Postby silkie » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:43 am

Hiya Lisa

OK question i cant use my left arm very well even carrying a purse causes some aches and pains. and i use my stick in my right hand

how do you manage to walk the dogs as i know your arms give you problems to?

Hugssssssssss

Silksxxxxxxxxxxxx

i loved walking the dogs just hoping you have some tips xxxxxx
silkie

Postby gottahavesun » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:32 pm

Hey there Silks--hope you are doing okay.

I actually switch from one arm to the other and I stick it on my walker handle when I use the walker. Just this morning my Sheltie started acting up because she saw another dog but I didn't feel a tug at all, so I'm wondering if you couldn't put it on your cane handle. Even when my arms are aching so much I can take them out, by putting my hand thru but keep my hand as straight as possible I keep hand straight and have thumb come up under the handle and the rest of my hand straight on top, except for my pinter finger and thumb touching. I am normally okay just holding it normally, except for the occassional day where my hands and the rest of my body jjust want to cramp up. When those days arrise, I just take it in stride and know a better day is coming...
gottahavesun

Postby coyote » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi there,

couldn't resist replying to this! as you might recall, I managed a pet supply store for 20+ years...we had several leash styles that were helpful to people with strength issues and arthritic pain. Some are foam-like handles, some are rubber handles that you can attach to any leash, etc. But, the one I really liked the idea of was a leash designed for joggers. Basically, it was like a weightlifting belt with a leash attached....hands-free dog walking, folks!

I did a search and found the HIGH SIERRA WALK-A-BELTtm at this website:
http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/

And, for people who can still ride a bike, there is the springer attachment so that a dog can run alongside of you.
www.springerusa.com/

They really do make everything!

Julie
coyote

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema