new therapist

lymphatic fault, carpal tunnel, Sesamoiditis, Tendonitis in Foot, hot tubs, spas, jacuzzi, mattress toppers, cold weather, daily lymphedema management, Bandage Wrapping, Wrapping and Rolling

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

new therapist

Postby suzeeq » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:24 pm

Well, things have a way of working themselves out. I had since 2004 been going to a clinic which was outside of my medical plan and was having my primary physician fill out an out of network form to get treatment there at in network prices. Which was working fine. I work at a hospital and carry their insurance, which changed companies in 2007. I could no longer get approved for out of network services. Luckily, the hospital recently started treatment for LE patients, so I do have a place to go. At my last visit to the first clinic, they informed me that they were no longer going to accept any insurance; it would strictly be private pay. The owner said that it was either that or close her doors as she was losing so much money. She said that she had ordered custom hose for one patient, around $240, and the insurance company only reimbursed her $29! How sad and frustrating. I don't blame her a bit for gong to private pay.
Anyway, I have now had 2 sessions at the new place. What a difference! I think I was spoiled before. I had a heated exam table with background music. Now it is just your typical exam table with a sheet over it. Before, measuring my leg was done with me lying down and a tape was applied on my entire leg from my ankle to my upper thigh and marked in centimeters so each time I was measured, it was in the same spots as the time before to get an accurate measurement ( does that make sense?) The new girl has me stand and only measured in a few areas, she said it was the old way. My previous therepist used both hands for manual lymph drainage, this girl only used one hand and has a much lighter touch. Not to be entirely negative about the new place, she did change me from artiflex to Cellona, which I really like much better. I hated those cotton fuzzies from the artiflex all over the house. And the new therapist is having me come every day this week, which I have never done. The first year I went once a month, then last year every 2 weeks. So we'll see if frequent visits make any difference. So I know every one has different techniques, but I guess I'm asking if the second technique is as effective as the first? It's hard to describe their techniques, but there really is a huge difference. Any thoughts? Susan
suzeeq

Postby patoco » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:35 pm

Hey Susan :)

Hmmmm.....this new therapist sounds interesting. :?: Think I like the old version from what I know of MLD. Does she say which school she has her certification through? Would be very interested in knowing.

She has a methodology that I haven't heard of before.

Which way has done the most for you?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

new therapist

Postby suzeeq » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi Pat and thanks for the reply. She is not certified. This program has only been in business since Nov. of 2005 and she says you have to have 2 years experience before you can take the test to become certified. She seems to be knowledgeable, knows about LANA certification. Her LE training was at a school in Florida. She has her masters degree but I had never heard of any of the schools that she attended. I go again tomorrow so I will ask her again. She did say that she uses the Vodder method. Another difference, I only take off my slacks and hose. She has me keep all the rest of my clothes on. I thought skin to skin contact was necessary. So when she massages under my arm, it is over my clothes. She doesn't do my side at all, doesn't have me turn over to reach the back of my leg, and doesn't give any attention to the buttock area. She doesn't like the pumps, which is good. What is the name of the garment that is worn at night which reminds me of an oven mitt? She doesn't like those either, said the hose and bandaging are the way to go. She is the only physical therapist in the hospital that does manual lymph drainage, so there isn't anyone else for me to see. But it is all paid for, so I can't justify going back to my other clinic for private pay. However, if my condition worsens with her treatment, then it will be letter time to the insurance company. I just will have to wait and see.
suzeeq

new therapist

Postby suzeeq » Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:43 am

Just a follow up- she went to the Vodder School based in Sebastian, Fla. but the actual classes were at a hotel in Boca Raton. It was a 2 week course, 8 hours a day. I see her again today, the 4th time this week. She is going to measure me again today and see if there has been any improvement. If not, then we have mutually agreed that I should try the bandaging 24 hours a day for a couple of weeks, even when I go to work. I work tonight, should be interesting! I'll take my hose with me just in case the bangages interfere too much. It will depend on too how busy we are. Susan
suzeeq

Postby patoco » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:02 pm

Hey Susan

It will be intersting to see what happens. The Vodder school does not teach the methodology she is using.

I went through that 24 hrs a day bandaging for awhile...LOL...it was a real pain in the :roll: (and not in the legs either) :lol:

Pat O
patoco
Site Admin

Postby marigold » Fri May 25, 2007 9:54 pm

So, Suzeeq, how is it going now? I suppose whether to bandage at night or wear something else depends on your own body. When I started therapy, I was wrapped and bandaged all the time, but after a couple of months I only bandaged now and then. Bandaging CAN get the swelling down better than garments, but I really like wearing the CircAid quilted legging at night (it's worn over a soft stretchy undersleeve): my leg always looks better when I wake up than when I went to bed!

Marigold
marigold

Postby silkie » Sat May 26, 2007 3:16 am

Hi Susan.

I changed therapist last year my wonderful Denise retired and another therapist took her place. It must have been a tough act to follow Denise was amazing. I do mostly self care just go for measurments and if i have a problem. The change was difficult you get so used to and become friends with your therapist. I am lucky i guess that I can do self care without great problems (touch wood)
I have to say her help and guidance with the mld and chemo really helped not only with the lymph but in helping me feel confident in her

She does do vodder method she does do things silimlar to Denise
but has her own little ways thats lightly differ too

I would actually ask you therapist why only one hand? how come she does mld over clothes when we are told never to do this? It is your body afterall just ask hun

Hugsssssssss
Silksxxxxxxxxx
silkie

update

Postby suzeeq » Sat May 26, 2007 2:13 pm

Hi Marigold and Silkie, thanks for your replies. Well my new hose arrived, 30-40 compression (2 pair), so I am back to just bandaging at night. I did fine at work with wearing the bandages, even for the 12 hour shifts. I know everyone else seems to have problems with them falling down, but I guess I'm lucky because I have never had that problem. I don't use any glue, just wrap and use paper tape. However, the swelling is increasing, especially in my ankle, so this new therapist suggests I go into 40-50 compression hose. My insurance co. is going to love that! The 4 days in a row of MLD resulted in increases in some areas and decreases in some, so I see no point in daily visits. So I am back to treatment every 2 weeks.I am approved for 20 PT visits per year, so I'm going to use them all. The heat may be a part of the problem, but my leg actually feels like it could use more compression. I've had the short stretch bandages since last October. Do I need new ones? Bandaging seems to work great for me, my leg is down in the morning, and the therapist thinks I should wear them all the time. Which I did before and don't mind except for that it makes it harder to get around, causes discomfort in other areas because of the limping, and is just too hot for this time of year. So I have an appt. on Tues. to order the higher pressure compression hose. I can just imaging how hard that is going to be to put on. I will look into your suggestion Marigold about the night garment that you wear. How expensive is that? Does insurance cover it?
Just venting on one other topic - I just had to tell my husband that I couldn't go with him to an outdoor event. He hardly ever takes Saturdays off, but I had to explain that with hose on and a pair of slacks, it is just too hot for me. Plus I work tonight at 7pm and can't be running around all day and then go to work. As you all know, it is a balancing act. I used to love summer and going to festivals and such, but now I feel like I'm missing so much because I stay inside. Sorry, just a little depressed today, but it will pass. I always feel better after I go to work, because then I feel useful and needed, and will not quit this job until I can't walk anymore or reach retirement age. For all of you out there who are dealing with other health isuues in addition to LE, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Good health, family, and friends - that is what is important. Susan
suzeeq

Return to Our Daily Lives with Lymphedema