LE and Sports

Special Section for Ages 15 through 35. Late Teens through young adults, clothes, toe leakage, study, work, shoes

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, Birdwatcher, blush

LE and Sports

Postby teenmom » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:17 pm

Hi there, I am a mother of a 13 y.o. who it looks like has lymphedema praecox (we are still in the process of ruling everything else out) Right now, we are in the process of getting her some compression garments to wear. My questions are these...she is currently involved in many sports (some fairly competetive, some just rec level) and she loves to cheerlead. I haven't really seen any info on what to expect with LE and continuing athletics. Does anyone have any experience with this? Also, do they make compression wear (medical grade) in anything like compression tights that she would be more likely to wear during practice that looks like typical athletic wear? Thanks for any replies. I have to say that these websites are often a lifesaver for newly diagnosed people and families desperate for info. My son went through a rare disease when he was an infant and their support group/website was invaluable. Thanks, teenmom
teenmom

Re: LE and Sports

Postby gogogirl » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:16 pm

Hey there,
I played tennis all throughout high school as well as dance, and I wore pants throughout. Nobody ever questioned me and I've gotten used to always wearing them. Pants and jeans comes in lots of cute styles these days including my favorite, wide leg...!

So take her shopping which she will love, and buy her lots of comfy pants that are cute. I would recommend lululemon for athletic pants (they're a bit expensive but they last forever).

Good luck and let me know how things go!
gogogirl

Postby teenmom » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:53 am

Thanks for the reply and thanks for this website! I just wanted to post a quick note for anyone else wondering the same questions I had.... We are now a little more than a year out from diagnosing my daughter's lymphedema. She played high school volleyball, basketball and softball this year with her "bigger" leg. Exercise/fatigue doesn't seem to exacerbate the symptoms. She wears a Juzo all the time, just had to get permission from the state athletic association to wear it during competition . She wears a Circ-Aid at night. It hasn't stopped or slowed her from doing the sports she loves at all. Hope this helps alleviate someone's else's concerns! :D
teenmom

Postby patoco » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:37 am

This is so neat to hear. I love seeing our young people be active and participating in sports, clubs, orchestra etc etc
despite having LE.

Give her a big thumbs up and hug from me. Go team go :!: :!: :!: :!:

Pat :)
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Young People with Lymphedema