My intro

A special forum where you can have direct chat with a certified lymphedema therapist for questions regarding your treatment and daily management of lymphedema. Tom Kincheloe is our moderator for this forum.

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, tkincheloe, Senior Moderators

My intro

Postby tkincheloe » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:24 am

Hi, everyone. My name is Tom and I am a licensed and registered Occupational Therapist as well as a Certified Lymphedema Therapist. I am a graduate of the Norton School for Lymphatic Therapy.

I asked Pat, the senior moderator and administrator of this site, for a "Meet the Therapist" forum for those who want to ask therapists specific questions with regards to primary/secondary lymphedema, lipodema, lympholipidema, venous edema, cardiac edema, and other swelling disorders.

While I don't have all the answers, I can and will be most willing to help you research info on particular issues and topics and to help clarify any confusion that may exist between you and your own therapist.

I welcome any other Certified Lymphedema Therapist to join us. Again, I don't have all the answers so the more therapists we can get on board the better.

Welcome!!
tkincheloe

Re: My intro

Postby katytambou » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:08 pm

Hi Tom,

What A Great Idea :D . I'm new to this Lymphedema thing having it for 3 months. Did therapy for six weeks, but there are times something happens to your legs or arm and you need to talk to a therapist for answers if he or she has some. Like my therapist told me for some it works and others it might not. Thanks, Kathy :) :lol:
katytambou

Re: My intro

Postby tkincheloe » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi Kathy, and welcome to the forum.

I agree with your therapist. Every situation is different, every person is different, and how people respond to treatment may differ from person to person though the treatment protocol may be the same. As a therapist, I know the importance of being flexible with my treatments and treating every diagnosis as though it were unique. Each person that comes into the room is treated as if that person's LE is totally unrelated to anything I've treated before. This helps me maintain a clear focus on the individual and not just the problem. It is so easy to become complacent with our treatments.

If there is anything we can do to help you with your LE, please don't hesitate to ask. And I'm not talking about just a therapist, but many folks on these forums can offer invaluable insight through their own personal experiences. If you haven't browsed through the different groups, I invite you to do so. There is so much for all of us to learn here (and I'm no exception to the learning process). :wink:

Tom
tkincheloe

Return to Meet the Therapist