Possible Fungal infection

delayed breast cellulitis, recurrent cellulitis, recurrent erysipelas, soft tissue infections, Dermatolymphangioadenitis (DLA), Flesh Eating Bacteria, Bacterial Infections, Strep Infections, bacterial cellulitis, prophylactic antibiotics

Moderators: Birdwatcher, jenjay, patoco, Senior Moderators

Possible Fungal infection

Postby toadwright » Sun May 16, 2010 9:06 am

Hi

I'm back had a small red patch develop on my upper arm the Dr. didn't think it was fungal so gave me some hydrocortisone cream. It's not doing a thing and I've noticed it starting to look like ring worm. Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks for any info
toadwright

Re: Possible Fungal infection

Postby patoco » Sun May 16, 2010 9:30 am

Hi Ya Toad :)

I once had ringworm back in 1966. If it starts looking like ringworm with all the other stuff (itchy), the doctor really should take a scraping to make sure.

Ringworm with lymphedema can be serious and can spread rather quickly. It will be very important for the doctor to get a jump on this and start proper treatment immediately.

This is a great page on ringworm:

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and- ... c-overview

Here is our page on fungal infections and lymphedema:

Fungal Infections Associated with Lymphedema

http://www.lymphedemapeople.com/wiki/do ... lymphedema

I really appreciate you sharing this and hope they get it under control quickly. I was also on oral medication for some time before we got mine under control and eliminated.

Remember folks: Ringworm is not a worm and most certainly has nothing to do with cleanliness or hygiene.

It is a fungal infection. Our lymphedema limbs are immunocompromised and are very susceptible to not only bacterial infections, but fungal infections as well. During the summer months especially, please do all you can to help prevent getting one of these fungal infections. They are hard to treat and can be very frustrating. Always, always wear at least sandals when around a locker room, when walking around a pool, and never ever use another one's towels, wash cloth, or sports gear.

Also, though not so common, you can get ringworm from your dog or cat if they have it on them.

I even got mine from gardening. It can even be just in the soil and if you get your hand in it - then you've got it. Always be sure to wear gloves when doing any type of yard work. For general gardening I use basic leather gardening gloves. When transplanting seedlings, I use sterile surgical gloves. If you use them, only wear them for a short time as they get terribly sweaty and only use them once - then toss in the garbage.

This is from the above page on WebMD:

To prevent ringworm of the skin:

Keep your skin clean and dry. Change your socks and underwear at least once a day.

Wear loose-fitting cotton clothing. Avoid tight underwear, pants, and panty hose.

Always dry yourself completely after showers or baths. After drying your skin with a towel, allow your skin to air-dry before putting your clothes on. You can also use a hair dryer, set on a cool setting, to dry your skin.

Do not share clothing, sports equipment, towels, or sheets. If you think you have been exposed to ringworm, wash your clothes in hot water with fungus-killing (fungicidal) soap.

Wear slippers or sandals in locker rooms, showers, and public bathing areas.

Shower and shampoo thoroughly after any sport that requires skin-to-skin contact.

If you have athlete's foot, put your socks on before your underwear so that fungi do not spread from your feet to your groin. Also, when toweling off after a shower or bath, dry your feet last.

Take your pet to a veterinarian if it has patches of missing hair, which may be a sign of a fungal infection. Household pets can spread fungi that cause ringworm in people.

Take care an let me know how you do :!: :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby toadwright » Sun May 16, 2010 4:54 pm

Thank You so much for all the information.
Went out to the ER and it is ring worm. When I first brought it to my Dr.s attention he didn't believe that it was and gave me some Hydrocortisone cream. Then it the mean time I developed a UTI and was on Antibotics for 10 days. The rash seemed to have gone away.

So I began a new treatment of MLD and was doing well with it. Up until the last two weeks noticed it coming back. Told the therapist that my Dr. said it was probably Ezema. So we continued on, the last week of treatment I notice a few more patchs of it. By now the first spot has increased in size and is really looking like ring worm.

Long story short the Dr. in the ER gave me some cream and 2 weeks worth of Fluconazole. Then told me to follow up with my regular DR. and he may want to extend the Fluconazole longer. He also suggested maybe seeing a Dermatologist.

Question when would it be safe to wrap or wear my Reid Sleeve?

Thanks again don't know what I'd do if it weren't for all of the good info on you sight.
toadwright

Postby patoco » Sun May 16, 2010 6:31 pm

hey Toad

Only too happy to help however I can, my friend.

I don't think I would wrap or use the sleeve again until it is totally cleared up. At this point, it may be too easy to spread it elsewhere if it gets on the wraps, or sleeve.

Also, I think just to make sure you get the right treatment and input, I would go ahead and set up an appointment with the dermatologist.

Hopefully now, it should quickly clear up.

my best :!: :!:

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby toadwright » Sun May 16, 2010 7:35 pm

Thanks again

I will let you know when and what happens when I get my follow up appointment.
toadwright

Postby toadwright » Thu May 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Hey Pat

Just wante to update you. Got in to see a Dermatologist today and it is fungal. Going to run the Anti Fungal drug for 6 weeks along with the fungal cream. Also gave me some body was and shampoo.

Hope this takes care of it. So far it's only on my Lymphedema Arm which is bad but at least it hasn't spread any where else.

Thanks again for your great web site keep up the good work.
toadwright

Postby patoco » Fri May 21, 2010 8:10 am

Hi Ya Toad

Appreciate the update :)

Hopefully now things will clear up and this is over with.

The very fact that it hasn't spread is indicative of some good care. I know when I had it, it was summer in Florida where I lived and it really took off.

I hated those pills I had to take - did a number on the ole stomach. But, it finally took care of it.

Thus far, I have had only two fungal infectinos in my life and trust me, that's all I ever care to have.

Sometimes, I think they are harder to clear up then cellulitis.

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Postby toadwright » Fri May 21, 2010 9:34 am

Hey Pat

It's getting hot here now. I live in Biloxi, so know what you mean about the heat and humidity.

Hopefully this will clear soon.

Thanks again
toadwright

Return to Lymphedema Infections, Cellulitis, lymphangitis