I'm at my wits end!!!!!

delayed breast cellulitis, recurrent cellulitis, recurrent erysipelas, soft tissue infections, Dermatolymphangioadenitis (DLA), Flesh Eating Bacteria, Bacterial Infections, Strep Infections, bacterial cellulitis, prophylactic antibiotics

Moderators: jenjay, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

I'm at my wits end!!!!!

Postby kymchi » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:23 pm

So, I'm on my 4th antibiotic, I had a 3 day hospital stay, and my right leg is still very red, hot, and EXTREMELY painful. I don't know what to do! I can't use my pump to get the fluid off because it's in so much pain, nothing they're giving me seems to be working and it's been almost two weeks! I cannot imagine that having an infection for two weeks can be good for your body not to mention all the antibiotics. By the way, I was diagnosed with cellulitis, guess I forgot to mention that, I'm so frazzled. :(
kymchi

Re: I'm at my wits end!!!!!

Postby patoco » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:11 am

Hey Kymchi

I can imagine how frazzled you must feel - and frustrated.

I thought I had sent a note with some therapists in your area. If I didn't or if you didn't receive it, let me know.

Somehow, you must get yourself under the care of an infectious disease doctor before this stuff really does you in.

From what you have shared, I just have zero confidence in those docs who have been "treating" you thus far.

Also, do get some pain meds. There is no sense in going through all that pain in addition to the fevers etc etc......see if you can at least get on a ten day supply.

Though I am not a doctor or a trained medical professional, I do bring to the table sixty years of living with lymphedema and come from a family who has dealt with it since the late 1800's. There desperately needs to be some biopsies done to find out what specific agent is causing this infection. If they are giving you the wrong antibiotics, then it isn't going to response.

For example.....an antibiotic that works well against staph (Staph is called a gram positive bacteria) - will NOT work against an infection caused by pseudomonas (a gram negative bacteria). This is critical to successfully over coming the infection.

It is crazy for the doctors to simply go from antibiotic to antibiotic to antibiotic while they are totally ignorant as to the bacteria you are fighting.

My very best to you! Get well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat
patoco
Site Admin

Return to Lymphedema Infections, Cellulitis, lymphangitis