9-Cis Retinoic Acid Promotes Lymphangiogenesis

Lymphangiogenic Gene Therapy, yellow nail syndrome, lymphatic vascular development, Intratumoral lymphatics, peritumoral lymphatics, stem cell research, Angiopoietins, VEGF, PIGF, FOXC1, FOXC2, Lymphatic Insufficiency. SOX18, lymphatic hyperplasia, Molecular lymphangiogenesis, PROX1, FLT3, Telan­giectasia, Lymphatic endothelial cells, adult vasculogenesis, LYVE1

Moderators: jenjay, Cassie, patoco, Birdwatcher, Senior Moderators

9-Cis Retinoic Acid Promotes Lymphangiogenesis

Postby patoco » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:52 am

9-Cis Retinoic Acid Promotes Lymphangiogenesis and Enhances Lymphatic Vessel Regeneration: Therapeutic Implications of 9-Cis Retinoic Acid for Secondary Lymphedema.
Jan. 2012

Choi I, Lee S, Chung HK, Lee YS, Kim KE, Choi D, Park EK, Yang D, Ecoiffier T, Monahan J, Chen W, Aguilar B, Lee HN, Yoo J, Koh CJ, Chen L, Wong AK, Hong YK.

Source

1 University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA;

Abstract

BACKGROUND:
The lymphatic system plays a key role in tissue fluid homeostasis and lymphatic dysfunction due to genetic defects or lymphatic vessel obstruction can cause lymphedema, disfiguring tissue swellings often associated with fibrosis and recurrent infections without available cures to date. In this study, retinoic acids (RAs) were determined to be a potenttherapeutic agent that is immediately applicable to reduce secondary lymphedema.

METHODS AND RESULTS:
We report that RAs promote proliferation, migration and tube formation ofcultured lymphatic endothelial cells (LECs) by activating FGF-receptor signaling. Moreover, RAs control the expression of cell-cycle checkpoint regulators such as p27(Kip1), p57(Kip2) and the aurora kinases through both an Akt-mediated non-genomic action and a transcription-dependent genomic action that is mediated by Prox1, a master regulator of lymphatic development. Moreover, 9-cisRAwas found to activate in vivo lymphangiogenesis in animals based on mouse trachea, matrigel plug and cornea pocket assays. Finally, we demonstrate that 9-cisRA can provide a strong therapeutic efficacy in ameliorating the experimental mouse tail lymphedema by enhancing lymphatic vessel regeneration.

CONCLUSIONS:
These in vitro and animal studies demonstrate that 9-cisRA potently activates lymphangiogenesis and promotes lymphatic regeneration in an experimental lymphedema model, presenting it as a promising novel therapeutic agent to treat human lymphedema patients.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22275501
patoco
Site Admin

Re: 9-Cis Retinoic Acid Promotes Lymphangiogenesis

Postby patoco » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:43 am

starfish wrote:How funny - I was doing a google search on lymphangiogenesis and I came across this article. Then I came here and found it again!Actually, what I was looking up is what to use on a patient who has lymphedema and heavy scarring that is blocking the lymph flow. Interestingly, Rosehip Seed oil not only is recommended for car reduction but also contains retinoic acid! (not sure if 9-Cis or not, or if the body can convert one type of RA to another... more research needed), but I thought: if you are massaging a scar that is blocking lymph flow, why not add a few drops of Roseseed oil. Couldn't hurt, could it??

It just may be harmful, depending on the patient and their medical situation. One must be so incredibly careful when "adding" anything to their list of medicines, ointments etc.

Please consult and work with your doctor BEFORE you add anything to your regimen.

The above study says it is a "promosing" and"novel" potential treatment for lymphedema patients

This page has a list of side effects for retonpoc acid:

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-4938-Re ... genumber=6

The following side effects are associated with Retinoic Acid Misc:
Common side effects of Retinoic Acid Misc:
Sun-Sensitive Skin Less Severe
Abnormal Peeling of Skin Less Severe
Redness of Skin Less Severe
Rare side effects of Retinoic Acid Misc:
Skin Inflammation Severe
Skin Discoloration Severe
Small Skin Blister Severe
Crusted Skin Severe